BGP RIB Collection

John Kemp kemp at network-services.uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 27 00:16:00 UTC 2013

I'll chime in with what we are doing with quagga and bgpmon.
The question though would be for how many peers?  If it is
for the sake of discussion, less than 20, something like this
might work.

http://bgpmon.netsec.colostate.edu/download/src/bgpmon-7.2.4.tar.gz
http://rmcwic.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/posters/csuconf-final19.pdf

We do some of this.  The pure BGPmon way is to have neighbors
peer directly with a BGPmon server.  We've extended this a bit
and we can stream quagga MRT update files into a bgpmon server as well.
Then the BGPmon server internally constructs RIBs per session.
Output format is XML, and the paper linked above describes some of
the perl tools there are to look at xml streams.

So you can get a RIB stream or an UPDATE stream from the
BGPmon server.  At some scale, this might give you what you need.
I think the BMP solution looks pretty nice as well, since you
are as close to your true platform as you can get.  So I would
also be interested in hearing if you find existing client code
to parse the BMP.

John Kemp (kemp at routeviews.org)