Should host/domain names travel over the internet with a trailing dot?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 25 18:50:58 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>

> > Who should implement the normalization logic? Not the SSL library,
> > certainly. That sounds like the bailiwick of the resolver library...
>
> No, in fact, I think this is layer... 3 or 4, not 2; this *should*
> be in the SSL library -- *you're not resolving this name*.

Or maybe even above that.

RFC 5246 seems the currently controlling spec, and neither it nor
the Wikipedia article on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

actually says *what the client is supposed to do with the Server Certificate*
which 7.4.2 says the server will send; appendix D.2 explicitly punts that
question "upstairs"... but I'm not sure exactly to where, as I don't know
in detail how HTTPS connections are generally set up.

I suspect, though, that at this point, it leaves NANOG's domain.

Cheers,
-- jra