looking for terminology recommendations concerning non-rooted FQDNs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Feb 23 13:10:20 UTC 2013

In message <20130222215502.GD99258 at numachi.com>, Brian Reichert writes:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:41:33PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > My snap reaction is to say that nothing should ever be *trying* to
> > compare a rooted F.Q.D.N. against a certificate; it is, as has been
> > noted, merely command line/entry field shorthand to tell the local
> > resolver where to quit; applications should all be stripping that
> > trailing dot.
> >
> > Do you have evidence that the extra AltName with the trailing dot
> > is operationally necessary?
>
> 'Necessary' is what's hard to ascertain here.
>
> If, under a UNIX-like operating system, you request a PTR with some
> command-line tool such as 'dig', you'll get a rooted domain name:
>
>   $ dig -x 8.8.8.8 +short
>   google-public-dns-a.google.com.

You used a tool that returns a entry from the DNS.  That tool doesn't
do the reverse mapping into a hostname because it is a tool for querying
the DNS.  If you want a tool that deals with hostnames use something that
wraps getnameinfo().

> And you can use this rooted domain name get an A record:
>
>   $ dig a google-public-dns-a.google.com. +short
>   8.8.8.8

Again you are confusing domain names with host names.

> As a matter of example, if you had automation that was internally
> testing your network for trusted certificates, and generated a set
> of hostnames based on reverse DNS, then your SSL client will now
> be using rooted domain names.
>
> When I did my initial development with OpenSSL, I observed:
>
> - If I did not have the rooted domain name in the SAN, then any SSL
>   client stack would fail the verification if a rooted domain name
>   was used to connect to the SSL server.

Well you have a broken SSL client app.  If it is accepting non legal
hostnames it should be normalising them before passing them to the ssl
layer.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org