looking for terminology recommendations concerning non-rooted FQDNs

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Fri Feb 22 22:27:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 02:10:02PM -0800, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> just keep in mind that while "." ought to be a label separator, the
> utc's bidi algorithm allows the directionality of a label to "leak"
> across the "period" character, where it is not a terminal character.

Yes, this is true, although that's at yet another layer _above_ the
DNS presentation layer.  That is, the . we are talking about is in the
DNS presentation layer, which ought only ever to contain A-labels
(xn--somethinghere) and not U-labels.  (Someone suggested to me that
the motto for IDNA ought to be, "Insufficient complication can always
be solved by another layer of misdirection.")

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.
asullivan at dyn.com
v: +1 603 663 0448