10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 18 23:52:57 UTC 2013

On Feb 18, 2013, at 3:07 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

> On 2/18/13 1:42 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Along some dimensions sure, e.g. we have quite a lot of parameters we can fiddle with.
>
> With respect to an istropic raditor and the same power level it is not. It's about 6-7dB  depending on which end of the bands we're comparing - e.g. friis trasmission equation.

Show me a wifi access point for 802.11n that uses an isotropic radiator and I'll consider that more relevant.

(Yes, I'm aware that an isotropic radiator is useful as a baseline comparison because it eliminates antenna issues, near-field/far field issues, and a host of other complications. However, the purpose of an isotropic radiator is, at its core, the very definition of oversimplification because it is a theoretical antenna which removes all of the real world complexities. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever actually built an isotropic radiator, though there are a couple of very complex antennas that come a little closer than a ¼ wave whip.)

Owen