10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Feb 18 05:12:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Greater attenuation is an oversimplification.  5Ghz penetrates things
> like stucco and concrete better than 2.4. OTOH, 2.4 gets through trees

My empirical experience with 5GHz says it penetrates concrete a lot less
than 2.4. For instance, in one building I was in, 5GHz didn't penetrate
the floor so it was only available on the same floor as the AP, but 2.4
GHz worked well both on the floor above and below the AP. This was in a
building with quite thick concrete floor, a 3 story town house with the AP
placed on the middle.

In my current apartment, I moved my AP out of the clothes closet (fairly
thin "light concrete" (don't know what it's called) and put it on the wall
in my hallway, this increased performance on 5GHz substantially.

So I'd like to know where you got your information from because I'd like
to read up more because my experience says exactly the opposite.

Apart from that, 5GHz is great. More bandwidth, less crowded.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se