10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:12:25 UTC 2013

On 9 February 2013 22:49, Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:

> Most of these networks are provided by "Internet Marketing Companies".  In exchange for free-reign in data harvesting and data capture/logging/tracking and advertisement/javascript insertion in web pages (etc), the hotel gets to offer "free" internet connections.  Often the Hotel Internet is a profit center for the Hotel, the "Internet Company" paying the Hotel for unrestricted diddling rights to the unsuspecting guests traffic.
>
> Same applies to almost every business that offers "free complimentary internet connections" ...
>
> Occasionally you run into a Hotel that offers a quality and clean internet connection, however, these are few and far between ...

Several 2.5* / 3* hotel managers I spoke with volunteered, implied or
confirmed that they're paying on the order of 2k$/mo for "internet" in
Northern California.

And at least in the US, I'm yet to encounter a complementary WiFi at
any hotel that would be doing JavaScript insertion, so I'm not sure
where you get your information that the free internet always means ads
or a very high level of tampering.

One of my prior residential ISPs, Embarq, arguably did more tampering
and data mining with my connection than any of the hotels I have ever
stayed at.  (I'm talking about DNS hijacking.)

Now.

Notice that these hotels are already paying 2k$/mo and getting 10Mbps,
which residentially retails at 40$/mo.  How much will 100Mbps cost
them?  What, still 2k/mo?  What are they waiting for?

Or, pardon my residential bias, but are some of them still using T1's?
 Don't those cost a fortune?  Wouldn't they actually save their money
by going elsewhere?  I hear microwave links are pretty popular these
days, and offer great bandwidth and latency.

C.