Fast fibre: A community shows the way

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Feb 16 04:54:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> After deciding that they were never likely to get a fast broadband
> connection from one of the major suppliers, a group of local people
> across this sparsely populated area decided that sitting around moaning
> about it was not an option. Instead they began a DIY effort, digging
> channels across the fields and laying fibre optic cables.

This is quote common in Sweden as well. People living in the countryside
are already used to cooperating, they do private road maintenance
cooperatively (5-10 houses sharing an access road to the closest major
road), so for them it's not that different to also do cables. Usually
tractors or equivalent is already available, so getting someone within the
community to do the work is not that hard.

Here is an example (In swedish)

<http://www.norrkoping.se/bo-miljo/bredband/byalag/>

"For people living in the country side getting access to fiber within
reasonable time there is a need for you, neighbours and friends to join
into a 'economic association'. With our help you build your own area
network to the closest network connection point.

<http://www.norrkoping.se/bo-miljo/bredband/anslut/>

Translating it into english works surprisingly well, for your convenience
here goes:

Byalag model-it works
Step 1 Examine and register interest
Investigate whether there is interest in your neighbors to join the
broadband. Some may have the knowledge and contacts that may be useful. A
basic principle is that more households get together and build the area
network (fiber) properties to be connected. In this way it is possible to
drastically bring down the total connection cost of each property. When
there are at least 30 interested, feel more, in an area you should submit
an expression of interest to the municipality. Are you less, you should of
course make an inquiry anyway.

Step 2-Establish a cooperative
In order to build an area of ​​the village community concept you must use an
economic association. In many cases, there is already an economic
association established that can be used, such as a village community. If
a cooperative is missing, you must create one for this purpose, ie.
building broadband. The compound can be dismantled after the construction
is completed, if desired. The association shall have a chairman and a
contact person for the project.

Step 3-Feasibility Study
You are doing a feasibility study to get an estimate on the cost of
trenching and more. Assistance can be sought from the Leader.

Step 4-agreement with the municipality
Norkröpings municipality sign a contract with you. The feasibility study
is approved, and a detailed planning undertaken by the municipality.

With the feasibility study as a basis, you can also determine how
construction costs will be distributed between the members of the village
community. Before ground work starts, everything should be clear about
what should be done, who is present and all land contracts and permits are
in place.

Step 5-Review existing agreements
Inform everyone in the village community to terminate existing contracts
for Internet, television and telephone in time.

Step 6 Compare prices
Keep in mind that it is only digging work to be purchased because the
remaining materials such as fiber cable, hoses, wells, etc. are supplied
by us. Our planners are happy to help in this work.

Step 7 Start building
Come supply all the materials needed for you. Then begin digging. Our
recommendation is that you take the help of our planners even at this
stage. It creates good conditions for it to go as smoothly as possible.
Cost for the designer paid for by the municipality.

Step 8-Inspection and connection
Once the works are complete, they inspected by the municipality or other
authority.

Step 9 Use your new broadband
Connect your home network to the fiber network and select service
providers.

Step 10 fee for connection
The fee is according to today's current broadband tariff set by the
Municipal Council of the Municipality of Norrköping.

Agreements
Examples of contracts and documents

Rules of the Association
Minutes
Registration with the Building and Planning
Project Documentation
Agreement between the union and the respective owners
Land Contract

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se