Quantifying the value of customer support

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 16 02:17:37 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013 12:58 PM, "Kasper Adel" <karim.adel at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are a 2nd level of escalation in a service provider,
> trying to put a $ value on the support we give to
> our NOC and other implementation teams,
> when they email us about problems they face.

Hi Kasper,

Support is about customer retention. You solved a customer's problem. As a
result, the company continues to recognize revenue from that customer for
another year. When you fail, the company loses that revenue stream.

Tier 2 support is about solving the difficult customer problems. Often
these are Power User problems -- they would have solved a tier 1 problem
for themselves. Power Users are interesting because each "recommends"
services to something like another dozen customers. They're the "computer
guy" the luddites know. When a power user departs upset, other customers
will leave over the course of the next 12 months because he recommended
something else to them. They won't complain. They won't offer the company
an opportunity to retain them. They just leave.

So, success on a tier 2 call means retaining not one, but as many as a
dozen customers.

And that is the value of tier 2 support. You're tier 1 with a multiplier
effect on customer retention which is much higher than the difference in
your salary.

> Can anyone help me with an idea or any material i can reuse? Templates?
Has
> any one been in a similar situation.

Sorry, can't help you there. You'll have to do your own research to put
supportable numbers to the claims.

Regards,
Bill Herrin