home network monitoring and shaping

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Feb 12 21:56:06 UTC 2013

O oracle of nanog: unlike things like rogue processes eating tons of CPU,
it seems to me that network monitoring is essentially a black art for the
average schmuck home network operator (of which I count myself). That
is: if the "network is slow", it's really hard to tell why that might be and
who of the eleventy seven devices on my wifi is sucking the life out of my
bandwidth. And then even if I get an idea of who the perp is, my remediation
choice seems to be "find that device, smash it with sledge hammer".

It seems that there really ought to be a better way here to manage my
home network. Like, for example, the ability to get stats from router and
tell it to shape various devices/flows to play nice. Right now, it seems to
me that the state of the art is pretty bad -- static-y kinds of setups for
static-y kinds of flows that people-y kind of users don't understand or
touch on their home routers.

The ob-nanog is that "my intertoobs r slow" is most likely a call to your
support desks which is expensive, of course. Is anything happening on
this front? Is openwrt, for example, paying much attention to this problem?

Mike