switch 10G standalone TOR, core to DC

Andrew McConachie smutt at depht.com
Tue Feb 12 12:09:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> On 29/01/2013 11:58, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > None of them will do trill.  The Extreme X670 and Juniper EX4550 will
> both
> > do VPLS, though.  The X670 won't do BGP.
>
> this is incorrect: the ex4550 will do l2vpn/l3vpn but not vpls.  The X480
> does vpls, but not the X670.
>
> Nick

I normally just lurk but I thought I would post to clear up the confusion.
Full disclosure, I am an Extreme Networks TAC engineer.

The x450 does not support any VPLS/H-VPLS/MPLS and is discontinued.  It was
replaced with the x460 which does support VPLS/H-VPLS/VPWS.  The x480 and
x670 both support VPLS/H-VPLS/VPWS.

The x460, x480 and x670 all support BGP.  However, only the x480 can hold
the BGP full-view in hardware.  So while you can run BGP on the x460 or
x670 they are really only suitable for iBGP.

All switches require a Core license to run BGP and an MPLS license to run
VPLS/H-VPLS/VPWS.

Andrew