Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Feb 12 06:57:45 UTC 2013

On 11-Feb-13 22:33, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> What I care about is not that it's optical -- it's that *it's a
> patchcord*. If the ONT is per ISP, and the patchpoint is an *external*
> jackbox, then that thru-wall cable has to be a patchcord, not drop
> cable -- and the ISP field tech will have to work it. *This* *will*
> cause the installation reliability problems that Scott is scared of.

OTOH, that will be the L2+ providers' problem, and the _level_ of
problems will be inversely proportional to how well they train/pay their
field staff/contractors.  IOW, the incentives are properly aligned with
the desired behavior.

If the L1 provider's responsibility ends at the jack on the outside NIU,
as an ILEC's does today with copper, then you have clean separation and
easy access for both initial installation and for later
troubleshooting--clear benefits that help mitigate nearly all the
problems Scott refers to, at least from the L1 provider's perspective.

> No, either the ONT goes on the outside wall and we poke cat 6, or the
> drop cable goes inside to a jack box for an interior ONT.

IMHO, both of those options are unacceptable, for different reasons.

> That, in turn doesn't mean I can't coil the tail in a box, and poke it
> through on order.

Once the tail is "poked through", though, you no longer have an exterior
test point that is easily accessed.  If the L2 and L1 providers are
arguing over whose fault a problem is, they not only have to both show
up at the same time, they also have to arrange for the property owner
(or their agent) to be present as well to let them inside to continue
their testing and bickering.  That won't end well for either party.