Micro Trenching for Fiber Optic Deployment

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Feb 12 00:57:08 UTC 2013

On Monday 11 February 2013 16:36, John Lyons wrote:
> >> concrete roadway, just packed earth and rock? Environmental limitations
> >> do
> >
> > My best guess is that you would want to use directional boring in that
> > case. A small hole every couple hundred meters, horizontal bore and duct
> > pullback
>
> You'll struggle to get a directional drill through material that
> includes rock.
>
> It's  two days work for this kit

Depends on the material, thru hard and broken rock is definitely do-able with
a horizontal bore and pneumatic impact head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbn7rgUvFuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbksxTJLgCc

Horizontal boring can be done with/without drilling fluid and with/without
active drilling heads, depending on the conditions. The op was rather vague
on the actual requirements, so we are all left guessing... I took "packed
earth and rock? Environmental limitations do not allow... underground
ductbank" to mean mixed earth and no open trenching or methods that would
potentially cut aquifer plains allowed. I.e. running this theoretical fiber
thru a national forest, trenching 6ft down with a wheel or cable plow and
cutting all the tree roots in the path would be bad...

Adrian