Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Tue Feb 12 00:42:50 UTC 2013

Check out GCI's Terranet project.

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org>
Date: 02/11/2013 4:37 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

On 11-Feb-13 18:23, Warren Bailey wrote:

> On 2/11/13 4:16 PM, "Masataka Ohta" <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>> Scott Helms wrote:
>>> IMO if you can't pay for the initial build quickly and run it efficiently then your chances of long term success are very low.
>> That is not a business model for infrastructure such as gas, electricity, CATV, water and fiber network, all of which need long term planning and investments.
> Nearly all of the industries you mentioned below receive some type of local or federal/government funding. If I was going to build some kind of access network, I would be banging on the .gov door asking for grants and low interest loans to help roll out broadband to remote areas.
I followed the link in a recent email here to the details on the Maine Fiber Co, and their web site indicates they got started with $7M in private funding--and a $25M grant from the feds for improving service to rural areas.  That radically changes the economics, just as I'm sure it did for other utilities.