The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Feb 11 22:42:03 UTC 2013

I meant to add in more info, but my mobile Gmail client betrayed me.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Scott Helms <khelms at zcorum.com> wrote:

> Lol, I didn't say all of them were doing that yet.
> On Feb 11, 2013 3:50 PM, "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Scott Helms <khelms at zcorum.com> wrote:
>> > If you're a large MSO (say top 15)
>> > then I can see it with today's technology, but even those guys seem to
>> be
>> > moving in other directions to get out of the provider controlled set top
>> > box model.
>>
>> really? verizon still wants to sell the hell out of their crappy box
>> to me... despite the fact that I say: "No, I have a tivo, it works
>> better...."

Verizon's infrastructure is all RFoG and not IPTV so a cache wouldn't be
useful.

>> same, btw, for comcast...
>>
>> They all seem to want to push their own box on users :( to the extent
>> that they tread the line on legality of pushing away 'cablecard' users
>> :(

Time Warner is taking a different approach:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Roku-and-Time-Warner-Cable-Hook-Up-122690

Also, on Comcast their new STB platform is built around IP
http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/ and while its still their box they are
trying to build a development ecosystem.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology