10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Graham Donaldson graham at airstripone.org.uk
Mon Feb 11 12:51:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:55:59PM -0800, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> Dear NANOG@,
>
> In light of the recent discussion titled, "The 100 Gbit/s problem in
> your network", I'd like to point out that smaller operators and
> end-sites are currently very busy having and ignoring the 10 Mbit/s
> problem in their networks.
>
> When you are staying at a 3* hotel, should you have no expectations
> that you'll be getting at least a 3Mbps pipe and at least an under
> 100ms average latency, and won't be getting a balancer that would be
> breaking up your ssh sessions?

If you don't like it, let them know, and stop providing them with your business.  Money talks. They'll either decide
they need to invest in good Internet, or they'll decide that for their customer demographic it just isn't worth it.

I personally think you're being unreasonable on the bandwidth and latency expectations, Hotel Internet connections are
there as a convenience rather than some kind of business grade connection.  If you are expecting a top quality
connection, expect to pay by the GB - so that greedy patrons watching Netflix HD pay for their bandwidth.

Broken SSH connections would annoy me though.

Graham.