10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Franck Martin fmartin at linkedin.com
Mon Feb 11 08:25:58 UTC 2013

When staying at Homestead a few years back, they would close my Internet
connection, because I was downloading movies via peer to peer. It took me
a while and escalating to a relatively competent network engineer to
figure it out: "Mate, I don't have any p2p software installed, may be my
computer is hacked, tell me what traffic you see that triggers your
system, so I can investigate". I came down that they did not like my Skype
trying to re-establish connections with contacts in Asia/Pacific (where I
lived then), instead of the USA.

I also organized conferences, and putting more than 20 people (with
various OS/hacked machines) on the same access point, is not standard
operations as in a company, you need some experience with that, something
that some ISPs (who were sponsoring the Internet) failed to understand.