Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Mon Feb 11 05:13:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Jason Baugher wrote:
>
> >> You don't have to, as you are not seriously interested in the
> >> topic.
>
> > I'm shocked that you waste time trying to educate us.
>
> No, as I said, I'm not trying to educate someone who don't want
> to be educated.

You're not trying to educate anyone at all. You're just stomping your foot
and insisting that you're right rather than have a meaningful discussion.

> > You're the one making the assertion, it's not my job to help you make it.
>
> So, you don't have to be educated.
>

>> Installing more lengthy drop cable, in addition to trunk cable,
> >> means more labor.
> >>
> >> Installing a bulky PON closure with splitter means more labor.
> >
> > Drops from a splitter vs drops from a splice case for your SS.... Not
> much
> > difference from what I've seen.
>
> Except for length, size and cost, there is not much difference.
>
> They all are to have drop cables.

I did some research on what NTT has done on fiber deployment. From what
I've seen, they split things up into feeder, distribution and drop cable,
with the splitter between feeder and distribution. Amazingly enough, that's
what we do as well. Feeder to splitter, then on down the street breaking
off at strategic splice cases where drops go to houses. The only difference
between that and our active infrastructure is the presence of the splitter.

We also do single-stage 32:1 splits. If we ran each drop cable from the
splitter all the way to the house, we would have extremely long drop
cables, and lots of them all bundled together going down the street. We
don't do that, we use mainline distribution cable like I described above.

The last thing I feel that I need to point out is that what works in one
type of area doesn't necessarily work in another. Fiber deployment in a
large urban area is a completely different animal than in a 40-50K
population town in the midwest USA.

                                                Masataka Ohta