Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sun Feb 10 00:13:19 UTC 2013

Jason Baugher wrote:

> You are seriously saying I should hire a translator to tell me what your
> document says?

You don't have to, as you are not seriously interested in the
topic.

BTW, it is not my document but an article in a famous online
magazine.

> How about you point out a reference
> written in a language common to North America, since this IS NANOG.

Feel free to do so.

> Anyone here doing or know someone doing 4-1 or 8-1 splits, in a typical
> American town? I believe most people were talking about areas <50000
> population.

The figure of 3.68-1 is by NTT.

> Our main cost is labor. Fiber, fdh, splitters, etc... are marginal.

You never forget labor cost.

Installing more lengthy drop cable, in addition to trunk cable,
means more labor.

Installing a bulky PON closure with splitter means more labor.

						Masataka Ohta