The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Feb 8 17:32:53 UTC 2013

On 2/8/13 8:23 AM, fredrik danerklint wrote:
>> The media market has fragmented, so unless we're talking about the first
>> week in February in the US it's not all from one source or 3 or 5.
>
> Explain further. I did not get that.

The superbowl is the first sunday in feb, it pulls a 75 share of the tv
market, about the only thing that does so it's a pretty good example of
all eyeballs facing the same direction, of course it's also available
via terestrial broadcast, satellite, cable RF and so forth .  other than
that you talking about a couple of hundred of the most popular content
items, followed by a very long tail worth of everything else. While I'm
pretty sure somebody in my building watches glee for example or
downloaded skyfall in the last week, I'm probably the only one to have
streamed a canucks hockey game from 2 weeks ago last night in 1080p.
>> So far the most common delivery format for quad HD content online rings
>> in at around 20Mb/s so  you're not delivering that to 10Mb/s
>> customer(s).
>
> Isn't 20 Mbit/s more than 10 Mbit/s? (If so, we're taking about
> 10 000 customers * 20 Mbit/s = 200 000 Mbit/s or 200 Gbit/s).

10Mb/s was your number not mine, my crystal ball is total garbage but I
don't see delivery 20Mb/s streaming services as a dramatically different
problem then delivering 6-8Mb/s streaming services is today.
>> On the other hand, two weekends ago I bought skyrim  on steam and it was
>> delivered, all 5.5GB of it in about 20 minutes. That's not instant
>> gratification but it's acceptable.
>
> About 40 - 50 Mbit/s. Not bad at all.
>
> Downloading software does not have to be in real-time, like watching
> a movie, does.
In both cases it's actually rather convenient if it's as fast as
possible, That movie  I bought 5 minutes ago from apple I might be
streaming to my apple-tv (which has effectively negligible storage), or
I might be dumping it on my ipad, in the later case the sooner it
arrives the sooner that process is finished and I can unplug it. With
the game download, with some exceptions like DLC's I can't start playing
until it has arrived so fullfilment is very very important, come back
tomorrow when it's done downloading loses you a lot of sales.