Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Thu Feb 7 19:21:07 UTC 2013

In a greenfield build, cost difference for plant between PON and active
will be negligible for field-based splitters, non-existent for CO-based
splitters.

If the company already has some fiber in the ground, then depending on
where it is might drastically reduce build costs to use field-based
splitters and PON.

On the CO-side electronics, however... I think it's safe to say that you
can do GPON under $100/port. AE is probably going to run close to
$300/port. That's a pretty big cost difference, and if it were me I'd be
looking pretty hard at a PON deployment for the majority of the customers
along with a certain amount of fiber left over for those who need special
services.