Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Wed Feb 6 23:51:48 UTC 2013

Putting routers and DLAMs each CO is simply not affordable for any but the largest providers like XO.    I expect Japan with its compact population centers may be different, but in the USA there are not enough people connected to any but the largest COs to make it affordable.    I'm not stuck on using ATM (I used it only as an example), any L2 technology will work.   One of our providers uses an Ethernet VLAN per customer endpoint and hands off bunches of VLANs to us over fiber.