Level3 worldwide emergency upgrade?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Feb 6 16:34:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Ray Wong wrote:

>> My impression is mostly that people are left feeling uncomfortable by
>> a massive upgrade of this sort with so little communication about why
>> and so on.  "Emergency work for five hours and 30 minutes
>> disconnection" that turns out to take longer than 30 minutes of
>> disconnection probably ought to come with some explanation (at least
>> after the fact).
>
> I was more looking for details, i.e. the sort of problem this is, as
> it probably also means all my *other* providers are going to be
> scrambling in the next few days/weeks/months, depending on what gear
> they're all using. I'm out of the global infrastructure game myself
> for a few years currently, but I still have to think ahead to the
> network I do maintain.

If Level3 is pushing this upgrade because of a security vulnerability,
like the recent Juniper PSN, any public notification will likely be
tersely worded out of necessity.

You might be able to get more details by contacting your account team, but
it's highly unlikely that you'll see the level of detail you're looking
for in a public communication.  That's not a knock against Level3, and
most other carriers will likely be equally tight-lipped on the details.

jms