Level3 worldwide emergency upgrade?

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Feb 6 16:04:23 UTC 2013

On 2/6/13 7:43 AM, Ray Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Andrew Sullivan <asullivan at dyn.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 07:39:14AM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>> So, I'm wondering what is shocking that someone may have to push out some sort of upgrade either urgently or periodically that is so impacting and causes these emails on the list.
>>>
>> My impression is mostly that people are left feeling uncomfortable by
>> a massive upgrade of this sort with so little communication about why
>> and so on.  "Emergency work for five hours and 30 minutes
>> disconnection" that turns out to take longer than 30 minutes of
>> disconnection probably ought to come with some explanation (at least
>> after the fact).
>>
> Especially in the wake they already recently did one. It's unsettling
> to receive little communication, and even multihomed, there's always
> the question of being pushed into overages around other providers.
>
> Yes, short notice maintenance does happen. Better communication
> happens much less often.
I recieved advance (24 hours) notification of maintenances over the last
two days to circuits ranging in size from 100MB/s to 10Gb/s in about a
dozen locations. I assumed there would be further disruption as devices
I'm not directly connected to were touched.

> I was more looking for details, i.e. the sort of problem this is, as
> it probably also means all my *other* providers are going to be
> scrambling in the next few days/weeks/months, depending on what gear
> they're all using.
All your other providers using that vendor have been scrambling for
about a week as well. Junos devices should be upgraded.