Level3 worldwide emergency upgrade?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 6 12:39:14 UTC 2013

On Feb 6, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Peter Ehiwe <peterehiwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also received same ...
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Ray Wong <rayw at rayw.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have details on tonight's apparent worldwide emergency
>> router upgrade? All I managed to get out of the portal was 30 minutes,
>> "Service Affecting" (no kidding?) and the NOC line gave me the
>> recording about it and disconnected me.

So, I'm wondering what is shocking that someone may have to push out some sort of upgrade either urgently or periodically that is so impacting and causes these emails on the list.

There seems to be some sort of psychological event happening in addition to the technological one.

In the past I've had to push out software fixes "urgently" due to various reasons, either being a software thing like the PSN or some weird hardware+software interaction that causes bad things to happen.

Would you rather your ISP not maintain their devices?  Are the consequences "so bad" of a 30 minute outage that your business is severely impacted?

- Jared