Metro Ethernet, VPLS clarifications

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:44:29 UTC 2013

The Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) develops standards for Metro Ethernet, which
are generally implemented by telcos/cablecos. See the following link:

http://metroethernetforum.org/

The 2 biggest problems I have found with telco/cableco MEF services are:

1. In network configurations where all sites are relatively close together
(< 500 miles), the telco/cableco SLAs are meaningless, bordering on being
fraudulent. For instance SLAs of 50 ms round trip for bronze service, and
20 ms for gold service are enough network transit time to send packets 5000
miles and 2000 miles respectively. This is like buying homeowners'
insurance on a $500K house with a $10 million deductible (50 ms SLA), and a
more expensive policy has a $5 million deductible (20 ms SLA).
2. The MEF spec does not address directed multicast, as opposed to a native
Ethernet switched network which updates the mac tables with each next hop
for the multicast requestor (video for instance) tracking the Layer 3
multicast routing protocol shortest path. So in MEF implementations where
users view a constant 10 Mbps (for example) multicast video stream between
a requestor and a multicast source, this 10 Mbps gets broadcast out all
switch ports in a users' MEF VLAN, rendering low speed MEF connections at
all other users' locations useless.

David