Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 4 22:39:31 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Masataka Ohta" <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>

> Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:
> > So splitting responsabilities can be an annoyance if it becomes very
> > visible to the end users.
>
> No different from competing ISPs using DSL or PON.

Sure it is: competing ISPs in a traditional situation would be using each
their own PHY.

> > Another aspect: customers espect to be able to switch seamlessly from
> > one ISP to the next. But ISP-2 can't take over from ISP-1 until ISP-1
> > has relinquised control over the line to the end user.
>
> No different from competing ISPs using DSL or PON.

Sure it is: there it's *much worse*.

> > In a layer 1
> > scenario, it means ISP-1 has to physically go and deinstall their
> > CPE
> > and disconnect strand from their OLT, and then ISP-2 can do the
> > reverse
> > and reconnect evrything to provide services.
>
> No. Just say optical MDF.

Doesn't preclude the need to swap different models of ONTs.

> > What happens when ISP-1 isn't interested in a quick disconnect and
> > ISP-2
> > has to wait days/weeks with end use without service ?
>
> You assume ISP-1 quickly stop servicing the end user, don't you?

I assume everyone will behave, because they're all *the customers of
me, the municipality*, and they have a vested interest in being good
actors.

> > In a layer2 service, it is a matter of reconfiguring the OLT to pass
> > ethernet packets to a different VLAN to a different ISP. No physical
>
> What happens when OLT operator isn't interested in a quick
> reconfiguration, ISP-1 quickly stop servicing the end user
> and ISP-2 has to wait days/weeks with end user without service?

Again, *the city* is the OLT operator, in a L2 scenario, and I will
flip the customer over almost immediately.  Yes, I know subs will try
to game things occasionally; we'll likely be able to cope with that.

Cheers,
-- jra