Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Feb 4 21:46:33 UTC 2013

Brandon,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Scott Helms wrote:
>
>  One thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe its possible to get a
>> contract with the bulk of the content owners in a wholesale scenario.
>>

> You do really need to read the thread before you post.

There are tons and tons and tons of organizations that will sell the
operator of a network content to sell to that operator's subscribers
directly.  Most well known is the cable coop, who only exists to do just
that.  The problem is that what's been proposed is that the network
operator be able to then turn around and offer those services as a whole
sale level to another operator, on the same physical but not not layer 2,
plant.  That's what I don't think you can get contracts inked for.

> I already pointed out that there are several companies that will handle or
> aggregate programming for you.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.itvdictionary.com/**tv_content_aggregators.html<http://www.itvdictionary.com/tv_content_aggregators.html>
>
> And this company here:
>
> http://www.telechannel.tv/**overview.php<http://www.telechannel.tv/overview.php>
>
> I'm no expert in this space, but as I've pointed out multiple times, there
> are probably 50-100 small service providers in the US that provide video
> programming to their communities.  I guarantee you at least most of them
> don't negotiate with all of the content providers themselves, on an
> individual basis.

There are way more than 100.  NCTC has more than 1000 members themselves
http://www.nctconline.org/

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology