Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Mon Feb 4 21:01:04 UTC 2013

On 13-02-04 15:46, Scott Helms wrote:

> I certainly agree that fiber plant is in general easier than copper plant
> to maintain.  My main concern is that in this case Jay is considering
> allowing not only different vendors but different technologies on the same
> fiber plant.

If you are strictly a layer 1 provider, I would assume that you have
setup properly documented procedures and responsabilities in case of faults.

Perhaps the ISP is responsible for debugging their problems and if they
can show a layer 1 problem, then the city steps in, disconnects the
strand at both ends and uses its own L1 equipment to test the strand.

If the rules are clear, then ISPs would choose OLT and ONT equipment
which provides remote debugging capabilities since physical visits to
the city owned aggregation point will be difficult.