Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at gwi.net
Mon Feb 4 19:57:13 UTC 2013

Scott;

I apologize.   You could very well sincerely not realize you are wrong.
Obviously, erroneous thinking is not the same as making things up.

However, it is not good that bad information is out there and it should be
corrected.    First you refer to them as "dry copper" or "dry pair" which
has no regulatory meaning.   I don't know if using the wrong term is part
of the reason you have had difficulty ordering them.   The proper term is
Unbundled Network Elements(UNE) copper loops.  UNEs are the elements the
ILECs are required to sell to CLECs.  There are a variety of different
types of UNE loops.   The most accurate way to identify them is probably
referring to an ILEC wholesale tariff filed on a state-by-state basis.
The FCC defines Section 251 requirements, but individual state PUCs
administer the tariffs for their locations.

Second, going to any document by the NTCA, an advocacy organization, for
information on this topic is a mistake for obvious bias reasons.   The
controlling documents are the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (Telco Act),
the FCC's Triennial Review Order[s](TRO), various ILEC tariffs and the
individual InterConnection Agreements(ICA) between ILECs and CLECs.   Under
the Telco Act, UNE loops are a Section 251 requirement.    The FCC has
primary responsibility for administering Section 251 requirements and the
FCC's rules for doing so are put forth in the TROs.   The last TROs were
released in 2004, so that would be the last time "the rules changed" as you
put it.   So there has not been a recent change in the rules resulting in
residential CLEC demise.

Third, it is true that an ILEC is not required to add capacity.   However,
it is hard for me to believe anyone would say with a straight face that any
residential CLECs went out of business primarily because ILECs are not
required to add copper.   In a period where there is steady erosion of
landlines resulting in a lot of unused copper loops, lack of copper loops
is a small issue.   Some residential CLECs went out of business because
they had broken business models.   Some residential CLECs became successful
business CLECs as well, check out Earthlink (NASDAQ: ELNK).   The
controlling issues are more financial than regulatory.   We have had the
same regulatory regime for almost a decade.

Any prudent DSL provider, ILEC or CLEC, should have plans for a transition
to copper, but the copper network still has useful life in it for
residential CLECs as well as other markets.

Fletcher

--
Fletcher Kittredge
GWI