Is Google Fiber a model for Municipal Networks?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Feb 4 18:04:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> True, but I think it means we've bound the problem.  It appears to
> take $1400-$4500 to deploy fiber to the home in urban and suburban
> areas, depending on all the fun local factors that effect costs.

*sigh*

I'd gladly pay $5000 NRC to get fiber to my house.  I only wish it
were that simple.  :(  Heck, if they wanted longer-term ROI, I'd pay
$5000 NRC and $200 MRC for a fiber connection to my house, if
only there were someone who could provide it.  I suspect the real
costs are much higher, and that's why there's nobody willing to do
it for that cheap.

Matt