Global caches

Jeff Richmond jeff.richmond at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:59:16 UTC 2013

While I would agree with that, having peering helps but certainly doesn't replace a localized CDN. Certainly better than nothing though. It also of course depends on the size of your network. If you are paying to carry that traffic (leased backhaul, etc.) from your peering point to your customers, you are still paying the same amount to deliver that content to your users (excluding any transit savings if moving from transit to get that CDN content). That is where an on-net CDN really saves you significantly as you can bury it deep into your network. I can't speak specifics here but I can tell you that the CDNs we have are filled at off-peak, so it really does become a win-win from a technical perspective (business case and politics are a completely different conversation though).

-Jeff