Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Mon Feb 4 03:06:50 UTC 2013

What we've seen is that the RBOC typically has a lot of crap copper in the
ground, in a lot of cases air-core (pre gel-fill) that hasn't held up well.
With the popularity of DSL, they ran out of good pairs to use. As they ran
out of pairs, they eventually had to put in remote terminals to handle any
new voice orders. They knew the future was fiber, at least to the node, so
they had no incentive to build new copper plant, and little incentive to
maintain the existing plant.