Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Sun Feb 3 21:44:20 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> In a message written on Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:07:34AM -0500,
> Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:
> > When municipality does the buildout, does it just pass homes, or does it
> > actually connect every home ?
>
> I would argue, in a pure dark muni-network, the muni would run the
> fiber into the prem to a patch panel, and stop at that point.  I
> believe for fiber it should be inside the prem, not outside.  The
> same would apply for both residential and commercial.

I'd argue that the demarc needs to be outside. There are certain advantages
to having easy access to the demarcation when troubleshooting, without the
resident needing to be home to provide access. It also simplifies drop
installation, since the details of outdoor drops are quite different than
those of indoor cabling.

The SP of choice can charge the customer for the demarc extension on
installation, at which point the customer owns the extension just like they
do for DSL, T1, etc...