Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Feb 3 20:33:28 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Helms" <khelms at zcorum.com>

> > Basically when the customer (typically the service provider, but
> > not always) orders a loop to a customer the muni provider would
> > OTDR shoot it from the handoff point to the service provider to the
> > prem. They would be responsible for insuring a reasonable
> > performance of the fiber between those two end points.
>
> Been tried multiple times and I've never seen it work in the US, Canada,
> Europe, or Latin America. That's not to say it can't work, but there
> lots of reasons why it doesn't and I don't think anyone has suggested
> anything here that I haven't already seen fail.

So let me be clear, here, because I'm semi-married to this idea...

You're asserting that it is not practical to offer L1 optical per-sub
handoffs to L2/3 ISPs, because

a) the circuits can't be built reliably,
b) the circuits won't run reliably over the long run,
c) if something *does break*, it's hard or expensive to determine where, or
d) each side will say it's the other side's fault, and things won't get fixed?

I can't see any difference between building it for their L2 access box and
my own.  I simply don't believe (b).  (c) seems questionable as well, so
I assume you have to mean (d).

> Dry pairs are impossible to order these days for a reason.

Certainly: because you have to get them from incumbents, who don't want
you to use a cheap service to provide yourself something they could
charge you a lot more money for.

You assert a technical reason?

Cheers,
-- jra