Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Sun Feb 3 19:39:39 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> In a message written on Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:07:34AM -0500,
> Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:
> > When municipality does the buildout, does it just pass homes, or does it
> > actually connect every home ?
>
> I would argue, in a pure dark muni-network, the muni would run the
> fiber into the prem to a patch panel, and stop at that point.  I
> believe for fiber it should be inside the prem, not outside.  The
> same would apply for both residential and commercial.
>
> Basically when the customer (typically the service provider, but
> not always) orders a loop to a customer the muni provider would
> OTDR shoot it from the handoff point to the service provider to the
> prem.  They would be responsible for insuring a reasonable performance
> of the fiber between those two end points.

Been tried multiple times and I've never seen it work in  the US, Canada,
Europe, or Latin America. That's not to say it can't work, but there lots
of reasons why it doesn't and I don't think anyone has suggested anything
here that I haven't already seen fail.

> The customer (again, typically the service provider) would then
> plug in any CPE, be it an ONT, or ethernet SFP, or WDM mux.
>
> Note I say typically the service provider, because I want to enable
> in this model the ability for you and I, if we both have homes in
> this area, to pay the same $X/month and get a patch between our two
> homes.  No service provider involved.  If we want to stand up GigE
> on it because that's cheap, wonderful.  If we want to stand up
> 16x100GE WDM, excellent as well.
>
> It's very similar to me to the traditional copper model used by the
> ILECs.  There is a demark box that terminates the outside plant and
> allows the customer to connect the inside plant.  The facilities
> provider stops at that box (unless you pay them to do more, of
> course).  The provisioning process I'm advocating is substantially
> similar to ordering a "dry pair" in the copper world, although perhaps
> with a bit more customer service since it would be a service the muni
> wants to sell!

Dry pairs are impossible to order these days for a reason.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology