Followup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Sun Feb 3 00:52:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

I guess I missed that.  You are saying that you would aggregate/resell
transit bandwidth in your colo?  I would argue against that as well.  I'd
suggest making sure your colo had adequate entrance facilities to allow
whomever wants to provide upstream service there to show up, and allow
them access to the fiber, which you already effectively have done.

>>> though; I note you didn't throw a flag at that, or at Akamai; is the
>>> IPTV issue different to you?
>>
>> If you were to open your colo to all comers that have similar models
>> to Akamai, that seems fair. After all, it's not the city selling Akamai
>> services to either the ISPs or end-users, the city is just providing a
>> convenient way for the providers that are there to interconnect with
>> content providers that care to show up.
>
> Precisely.  Akamai's business model is that they just show up?  Me and
> my ISPs don't have to pay them?

I guess as far as putting an Akamai server in a colo/on an exchange, I
assumed they didn't charge, but now that you mention it, I don't have
first hand knowledge of that.  I certainly would suggest that the city
should not pay for anyone to show up at the colo, but allow them access if
they care to do so on equal footing.

Of course Akamai charges for their services, that's a bit different than
just exchanging traffic.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442