Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Sat Feb 2 20:53:20 UTC 2013

Jay,

I'm spotty on mailing lists since most of my time is spent building these
kinds of networks.

1)  Talk to more vendors than just Calix, especially if they're quoting
their Ethernet density on the C7.  Also, keep in mind that port density may
or may not be relevant to your situation since space for muni shelves isn't
usually a problem.  Port density is much more important if you're deploying
in existing telco enclosures but muni networks tend (not universally of
course) to reuse existing city infrastructure building to house the nodes
of their network.  Please note that I am not reccomending against Calix,
they're a good solution in many cases, but AE is not a strong point on the
C7.  The E7 and the B series, which is the old Occam product, is much
better than the C7.  For that matter I wouldn't consider doing a new build
on the C7 since that platform's EoL can't be too far in the future.

2)  I have no idea who  told you this, but this is completely and utterly
incorrect in nationwide terms.  If you have a specific layer 3 provder in
mind that tells you they want a GPON hand off then that's fine, but ISPs in
general don't know what GPON is and have no gear to terminate that kind of
connection.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology