Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Feb 2 20:32:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Helms" <khelms at zcorum.com>

> A layer 1 architecture isn't going to be an economical option for the
> foreseeable future so opining on its value is a waste of time...its
> simple
> not feasible now or even 5 years from now because of costs. The
> optimal
> open access network (with current or near future technology) is well
> known.
> Its called Ethernet and the methods to do triple play and open access
> are
> well documented not to mention already in wide spread use. Trying to
> enforce a layer 1 approach would be more expensive than the attempts
> make this work with Packet Over SONET or even ATM.
>
> What is about a normal Ethernet deployment that you see as a negative?
> What problem are you tying to solve?

Well, Scott, assuming you mean ethernet over fiber, then you've just said
that it's economically infeasible to deploy the physical layer of
precisely the architecture you advocate.

I find these conflicting reports most conflicting.

As for "what problems are you trying to solve", I just itemized that.

Cheers,
-- jra