Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sat Feb 2 19:23:15 UTC 2013

On 13-02-02 10:36, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> Yes, but everyone on a splitter must be backhauled to the same L1 provider,
> and putting splitters *in the outside plant* precludes any other type
> of L1 service, *ever*.  So that's a non-starter.

If you have 4 ISPs, why not put 4 splitters in the neighbourhood ?
Individual homes can be hooked to any one of the 4 splitters, and you
then only need 4 strands between splitter and CO.

I understand that having strands from CO to Homes is superior at the
technical point of veiw and gives you more flexibility for different
services (including commercial services to a home while the neighbour
gets residential services).

But if strands from CO to homes is so superior, how come telcos aren't
doing it and are using GPON instead ?