Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 1 21:59:54 UTC 2013

On Feb 1, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Jason Baugher <jason at thebaughers.com> wrote:

> It's still a 23dB loss for each customer from the CO to the ONT.
>
> I have an OLT that launches at +5dBm. At 1490nm, I should see about a .26dB loss per km. My 1x32 splitter is going to add about 16dB more loss. Assuming we ignore connector losses, and also assume that the customer is 10km away:

Nope… The power going into each fiber out of the splitter is 1/16th that of what went into the splitter.

Yes, your total in-line loss is still 10km, but you are forgetting about the fact that you lost 15/16th of the power
effectively going to the fiber when you went through the splitter (in addition to the splitter loss itself).

So: CO Based splitter:

Each customer gets (IN - 16dB - (10km x .26db))/32

Splitter at 9km:

Each customer gets (IN - (9km x .26dB) -16db)/32-(1km x .26db)

If we use 5dBm as our input, this works out:

CO: (5db - 16db - (10km x .26db) / 32
/32 is effectively -15 db (-3db = ½ power, 32 = 2^5)
Substituting: (5db - 16db - 2.6db) -15db = -28.6db to each customer.

Spitter at 9km: (5db - (9km x .26db) -16db)/32-(1km x .26db)
Substituting: (5db - 2.34db -16db)-15db-.26db = -28.08db to each customer

So there is a difference, but it seems rather negligible now that I've run the numbers.

However, it's entirely possible that I got this wrong somewhere, so I invite those more expert than I to review the calculations and tell me what I got wrong.

Owen