Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 1 21:16:45 UTC 2013

Actually, this is an issue… I should have seen it.

You have 3 loss components… Power out = (Power in - loss to splitter - splitter loss) / nOut - loss-to-customer

So, if the loss to the splitter is 3db and you have 20db (effective 320db on a 16x split) loss on each customer link, that's
a radically worse proposition than 20db loss to the splitter and 3db loss to each customer (which is effectively 48db
loss on a 16x split).

It's still do-able, but you either need amplifier(s) or very short distances between the customer and the MMR.

Given this consideration, I think the situation can still be addressed.

Put the splitters in the B-Box and allow for the possibility that each subscriber can be XC to either a splitter or
an upstream dedicated fiber. The provider side of each splitter would be connected to an upstream fiber
to the MMR.

So, each B-Box contains however many splitters are required and each splitter is connected upstream to a
single provider, but you can still have multiple competitive providers in the MMR.

This setup could support both PON and Ethernet as well as other future technologies.

Owen