Muni network ownership and the Fourth

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:26:05 UTC 2013

On 1/30/2013 5:03 PM, John Levine wrote:
> The muni power companies around here provide service every bit as good
> as NYSEG, the private power company, at literally half the price.
The muni providers have a bunch of cost advantages that help them keep
the price lower.

municipal utilities:
-  sell bonds cheaper (holders get tax-advantaged rates in interest
income, and are ultimately backed by the muni taxpayers)
-  don't pay property tax on real-estate or sales tax on equipment used.
-  can force sale of property to collect unpaid bills
-  leverage municipal employees for customer support (can pay my water
bill at the city clerk's office)