Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Fri Feb 1 03:43:25 UTC 2013

I don't have specific data to point you to.  I am speaking from my experience, in large cities.  Totally different story in rural or suburban areas.

In general, if a municipality builds an L1 or L2 network it removes so many barriers of competition  that  many idiots get into the business.   The consumer ends up suffering, because the market is overwhelmed with inferior products.  The few that do things 'right' get lost in the sea of bottom feeders looking for a quick buck.   Unlike a hamburger, or a t-shirt - telecom is a complex product that most consumers are unable to appreciate the details of.  They aren't going to educate themselves on the nuances of quality, so the people offering a better product have no way of getting ahead in this near-perfect competitive situation.

A city government benefits from economic prosperity, which comes from businesses within it's boundaries being prosperous.  Access to great telecom services is one factor in that prosperity.  That is the business model for a municipality to want good telecom.

A municipality can lease out conduits, for a small fee - there is still a reasonable barrier to entry.  People have to pull cable, splice it, manage it, light it, sell it, and do all the stuff a telco has to do before they receive revenue.  This filters out (most) of the opportunists… but makes it easy enough for entrepreneurs with a great idea to get started without having to come up with billions of $ in capital to open-trench the streets in the entire city.   In the case of a growing municipality, if they play their cards right they can pay for the entire conduit system from development fees collected from land or re-zoning deals, which furthers the virtuous circle of growth.