Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Fri Feb 1 02:28:13 UTC 2013

Sorry for jumping into this discussion so late…. and I apologize if this has already been talked about (this has been a long thread)

But the most successful municipal undertaking to support telecom I have ever seen is a municipally owned conduit system….  Any infrastructure L1, L2, or anything is too complex to be commercially viable if owned by one entity.

Putting everybody on a level playing field removes the value from everybody, and therefore removes the commercial interest to DO anything, so nothing happens.

Unless somebody is able to build a product that everybody can't just have without any obstacles, nobody is going to do anything, and we end up with nothing.

A city owned conduit system is the best balance between fairness for the consumer, and supporting a competitive environment for service providers to offer something John Q public can't get on his own.

On 2013-01-31, at 9:10 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> wrote:
>
>>> 1.      Must sell dark fiber to any purchaser.
>>> 2.      Must sell dark fiber to all purchasers on equal terms.
>>>       (There must be a published price list and there cannot be deviations
>>>       from that price list. If the price list is modified, existing customers
>>>       receive the new pricing at the beginning of their next billing cycle.)
>>> 3.      May provide value-added L2 services
>>> 4.      If L2 services are provided, they are also subject to rule 2.
>>> 5.      May not sell L3 or higher level services.