Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 00:36:43 UTC 2013

> I'm saying you put the splitter next to the OLT and then
> run multiple fibers from there to the subscribers IN THE MMR

That's the way I'd expect it to be done if planning ahead,
GPON is today technology and new things always come

I can see why they don't do this though

1. reduced build cost today - smaller MMR, fewer fibres to the
roadside.

2. gpon makes it harder for competing unbundlers to get share
in your investment

3. no home run fibres means no competitors running their own
GPON or Ethernet. Why invest in making it easier for the
competition

brandon