The Making of a Router

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Dec 26 23:21:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 05:21:11PM +0000, Warren Bailey wrote:
> Not to mention the fact that this "router" will require support. The build
> before buy people are silly.  Let the smart router guys do their thing and
> use their box accordingly.  When it breaks call to inform them it broke
> and they will fix it.

Unless they deem that it's "outside of scope".  Or they can't get anyone to
you inside of SLA[1].  Or they send someone incompetent.  Or it's a problem
that's never happened before.

> Diy projects are a nightmare to support.

*Everything* is a nightmare to support.  A DIY project just means that
you're betting you're smarter than whoever the vendor sends to fix their
thing.  Maybe it's a good bet, maybe it isn't.

I'm sure you've got plenty of horror stories of DIY project support; I've
got plenty of horror stories of vendor support.  Perhaps we can get together
some day and have a story-off.  <grin>

- Matt

[1] So you might get some SLA credits at some point in the future.  So what?
It won't even cover your SLA payouts to your customers, let alone the lost
business and reputation.