The Making of a Router

Nick Cameo symack at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 20:51:20 UTC 2013

> Have you tried labbing BSD vs Linux to see which you like better? I'd
> probably do that before throwing it in to production.
> --

Great advice Thomas! I will be creating a BSD virtual machine to get a
feel however, with linux I can think broad scale and forcast better.
With BSD, I am concerned with making choices that will shoot me in the
foot.

In essence, which BSD operating (Free vs OpenBSD) system is more
widely supported, and proven successful for this task. I am talking
about everything from hardware compatibility to software support for
pfsense and openbgpd from the community. Finally, performance
comparison to a present day Linux Kernel.

PS conntrack optimization for IPTables. Been there done that... I am
strong with Gentoo and am pretty sure can put together a rock solid
machine, just don't want to turn a blind eye though yeah?

N.