ddos attacks

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Thu Dec 19 16:13:48 UTC 2013

On 12/18/13 8:03 PM, "Jon Lewis" <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:12:28 -0800, "cb.list6" said:
>>
>>> I am strongly considering having my upstreams to simply rate limit ipv4
>>> UDP. It is the simplest solution that is proactive.
>>
>> What are the prospects for ipv6 UDP not suffering the same fate?
>
>Roughly 0%, but there's so little v6 traffic compared to v4, you probably
>don't have to worry about v6 attack traffic yet...particularly if you're
>not dual stack yet.  :)

-1 uninsightful

Can't find any public data showing IPv6 as a percent of total bits, but
it's certainly a meaningful percent of hits in many countries and networks.

See also
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets-
00 which describes risks from IPv6 to people who think they are running an
IPv4-only network.

Lee