do ISPs keep track of end-user IP changes within thier network?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Dec 13 21:59:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013, Sam Moats wrote:

> I'm not sure about the current state of the industry it's been a while since
> I was responsible for an access network. In the past we would keep radius
> logs for about 4 months, these would include the username,IP address and yes
> (to date myself) the caller id of the customer at the time.

We used to keep several years worth of RADIUS summary data, which included
username, call end time, duration, IP, NAS-IP, ANI, and DNIS, except for
where the telco wouldn't sell PRI and we had to use CT1, where those
weren't available.  How's that for dating?  :)

Want to go back a little further?

http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/modems1.jpg

Rack of Sportsters, "Digicrap"[1] on top, and some Total Control USR
modems on the table/overflow.

[1] That's what I ended up nicknaming Digicom's rackmount modem chassis as
their modems were unreliable (would repeatedly lock up requiring
manual/physical resets and causing major problems for our hunt group).  We
eventually got them to buy it back as they were unable to resolve their
problems.